Author Topic: Exercise Talisman Saber  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Mim

• Administrator
  • Corporal
  • This is me, so I am here
    • My Facebook
Exercise Talisman Saber
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
Northern Australia: Arafura Sea

August 25th 2017

Assets:

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76),
USS Shiloh (CG-67).
USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG-54),
USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62)
USS Green Bay (LPD-20)
USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6)

HMAS Canberra (LPH 02)
HMAS Choules (L100)
HMAS Anzac (FFH 150)
HMAS Darwin (FFG 04)
HMAS Ballarat (FFH 155)
HMAS Success (OR 304)

RFA Lyme Bay
HMS Defender (D36)
HMS Daring (D32)

HMNZS Te Kaha (F77)
HMNZS Endeavour (A11)

HMCS Halifax (FFH 330)
HMCS Toronto (FFH 333)

JS Izumo (DDH-183)
JS Atago (DDG-177)

Land Elements

Australia:
SASR1
RAR4 Commando
RAR7 Cavalry
3CER combat engineers
RAR9 Infantry
B Squadron 1st Armored Rgmt

United States:
26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, USMC (BLT, 3/2 Btn)
31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, USMC (BLT 2/5 Btn)
AFO "Grizzly", 1st Marine Raider Rgt, MARSOC, USMC
3333/3rd Special Forces Group US Army
28th Ordnance Company US Army
4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Div, US Army
AFO "Mako", Gold Squadron, DEVGRU, USN
"Silver" Team, 58th Rescue Squadron, USAF

United Kingdom:
SAS/SBS
Royal Marines

Japan:
2nd Infantry Battalion (Airborne), 1st Airborne Brigade - JGSDF
Special Boarding Unit - JMSDF

New Zealand:
1st (NZ) SAS Rgt.

Canada:

France:

Netherlands:

Malaysia:

Germany:
Kommando Spezialkräfte Marine

South Africa:
South African Special Forces Brigade

Air Elements

1 Squadron RAAF- F/A-18F
77 Squadron RAAF F/A-18C
2 Squadron RAAF E-7A
37 Squadron C-130J
5th Aviation Rgmt CH-47F

100th Fighter Squadron (USAF ANG) - F-16D
90th Fighter Squadron (USAF) - F-22A
36th Airlift Squadron (USAF) - C-130H
44th Fighter Squadron (USAF) - F-15C/D
909th Refueling Squadron (USAF) - KC-135
961st Airborne Air Control Squadron (USAF) - E-3C
55th Rescue Squadron (USAF) - HH-60

VFA-27 (USN) - F/A-18E
VFA-102 (USN) - F/A-18F
VFA-115 (USN) - F/A-18E
VFA-195 (USN) - F/A-18E
VAW-115 (USN) - E-2C
VAQ-141 (USN) - EA-18G
VRC-30 Det. 5 (USN) - C-2A
HSC-12 (USN) - MH-60S
HSM-77 (USN) - MH-60R

VMFA(AW)-242 (USMC) - F/A-18D
VMFA(AW)-225 (USMC) - F/A-18D
VMFA-542 (USMC) - AV-8B
VMFA-121 (USMC) - F-35B
VMAQ-3 (USMC) - EA-6B
HMLA-367 (USMC) - AH-1Z/UH-1Y
HMH-463 (USMC) - CH-53E
VMM-262 (USMC) - MV-22B
VMM-265 (USMC) - MV-22B

2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment (25th Infantry Div, US Army) - AH-64D
2nd Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment (25th Infantry Div, US Army) - UH-60
3rd Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment (25th Infantry Div, US Army) - CH-47

3rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, 3rd Air Wing (JASDF) - F-2A
501st Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron (JASDF) - RF-4EJ

No. 2 Squadron (RAF) - Typhoon F2

301 Squadron (RNLAF) - AH-64D
312 Squadron (RNLAF) - F-16A
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:02:52 AM by Cipherhornet18 »

Offline Mim

• Administrator
  • Corporal
  • This is me, so I am here
    • My Facebook
Re: Exercise Talisman Saber
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:19 PM »
Locations

<RAAF Amberly>

Shoalwater Bay Training Area

USS Ronald Reagan

HMAS Canberra

HMS Lyme Bay

USS Bonhomme Richard
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:35:33 PM by Mim »

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Private
  • 'Anger Management-use a gun'
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Not since World War Two had the airbase seen so many aircraft. Someone not within the military might have been thinking that a war had started, but not Queenslanders, they saw this event every two years, although the Talisman Saber exercise for this year certainly was the biggest multinational exercise in the entire world for at least 40 years, perhaps even longer. Oakey Army air base was the same, so to was the regional airport at Rockhampton, close to the action of Shoalwater Bay, the main training area. That wasn't to say it was restricted to a small area off the Queensland coast; since late June, the forces have reached as far North as Darwin and as far South as Newcastle and now as they were coming to the final stages of the exercise itself, some of the oversees assets began their long journeys home. Some though would be staying just that much longer.

<Pilot's Ready Room>

One of the final, but not last events on the calendar was a rather strange occurrence. Several Royal Australian Air Force fighters were going to be landing on board the USS Ronald Reagan as part of familiarization trials. Some of the pilots had already made several landings and take offs, the woman addressing the gathering of pilots being one of them. Some were US exchange pilots from the Navy and Marines, so naturally they to had done more than their share. There were some though who were going to experience their first deck landings, albeit from the rear of the FA/18F, they were pilots from the guest Squadron of the 187th Air National Guard, all the way from Alabama. One of those pilots by chance happened to be the fiance of the Squadron leader, her once having been on exchange to their home base not too long ago. Coincidence? No, not with a few strings being pulled when the Pentagon was choosing which units were going to be sent to the exercise. As they say, blame it on Mum.

"Focus." Cate told herself as she stood in front on the large display screen. "Ahem. We're not done yet of course, the final evolution of the exercise is still days away. We won't be required until that last day, so there is a little surprise in store for our friends of the 187th." She couldn't help but to stare at Rob sitting there in the second row behind Jack and AJ. She often wondered how they did it? How they kept their marriage together, but then Cate knew the lesson well from her parents didn't she. "Today, some of you have drawn a lucky ticket, we'll be taking you out as passengers to land on the deck of the USS Reagan; that's right, a deck landing." Now for the juicy bit. "Oh and I should mention it will be at dusk. Lieutenant Commander Pierce please." She held out her hand side ways for Jack to step up and continue with the briefing.

@sorra @Cipherhornet18

Offline sorra

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Rob sat in the second row, his arms folded over his chest.  He loved listening to Cate talk and he gave her a quick smile when he caught her looking his way.  It was hard, but somehow they held it together.   And if he was honest he was looking forward to this.  It would be something he had never tried before and getting a chance to learn new things always made him happy.  Not to mention he got to spend time with Cate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:46:09 PM by Mim »

Offline Lukas Schoenert

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
<HMAS Canberra>

Lukas had followed in after his team leader, Nikolaus, and just between Kai and Josef. It had been quite the journey from Germany to Australia, and jet-lag had been kicking in early enough. He had tried not to sleep on board the flight over, but it ended with him dozing off a couple of times.

This was a big training exercise, one of the biggest in over forty years, Nikolaus had told them all, making sure that had sunk in. That they were all expected to be on their best behaviour, being guests on board HMAS Canberra and working alongside the RAR4 Commando regiment.

They had been shown their quarters, to dump their burgeons and unload their kit quickly as Nikolaus had walked off to get himself acquainted with those they were working with. Lukas had wandered, trying to familiarise himself with the ship as best he could but couldn't help himself as he wanted to learn more about what was going down today.

Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) -- Oberbootsmann
Facit Omnia Voluntas

Offline Commodore Anne MacGregor

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:55 PM »
<HMAS Canberra>

It was a sad fact of life for a sailor's wife, and indeed a husband. Even sadder when the both of them are serving, with one on the other side of the globe attending some conference or another in Washington DC. Anne hadn't seen William for now going on eight weeks, just prior to the exercise in fact. Her own children, Cate she saw just last week, Ben only this morning; so that much at least made up for those little gaps in her life.

Now she was caught up in the throws of this massive exercise, one which she was enjoying even if it meant endless training, going through the 'fake' wounds with her multi-national teams, as well as the real injuries that were bound to happen in these large gatherings. Just two hours ago she was in theater repairing a broken leg on a young woman who had the misfortune to get caught in between a fork lift and a Abrams tank. It was nasty of course but at least the lass was now in Brisbane hospital recovering.

With not much else to do for a little while, she decided to at last take her own tour of the ship, something she hadn't been able to do since joining the ship two weeks ago in Townsville. As she made her way through the vast ship, she wasn't totally aware of her surroundings coming around a corner, Anne bumped headlong into a young man she instantly recognised as one of the German personnel who had been attached to the fourth Regiment, her son's old unit. "I am so sorry!" she exclaimed steadying herself against the bulkhead.

@Lukas Schoenert
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:55:05 AM by Commodore Anne MacGregor »

Offline Lt Trish Ramirez

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 02:38:57 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

For the record, Trish was having a ball in Australia, the one place she had always wanted to visit but as usual time and money was the stumbling block for her. To have just two pilots from the 187th selected for this exercise was nothing but gold, although it fell to drawing names out of a hat in the end as almost everyone wanted to be here. As luck would have it, both her and Rob were the lucky ones on this occasion, with the rest of the Squadron being sent to Turkey in support of the current actions in the War against ISIS. Although she could have used both the experience and the action, to meet up with Cate MacGregor was better just the same, with that woman being ever so welcoming to the two Yanks.

She had in two months been everywhere possible, taking in all the usual things. Sydney was her favorite place and Trish promised herself that if ever she wanted to leave the US, that was where she'd be headed. Now she was satisfied that some of her bucket list had been completed, she felt good about where she was until she heard Catherine mention something about a Carrier landing; with her and Rob riding shotgun in the Aussie FA/18. With a startled 'rabbit in headlights' look, she sat up straight tapping Rob on the shoulder from behind. "Dude, did Cate just say what I thought she said?" Trish didn't miss much, she just wanted to be sure. Already her nerves started rumbling in her tummy, her mouth going wet at the prospect of flying directly at a steel deck with a velocity of some one hundred and eighty miles an hour. "No way!" She said to herself.   

Offline Jack Pierce

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:43:22 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Jack glanced over at AJ, the two of them were slightly different guests. Unlike the 'zoomies' from the Air Force, the two Pierces had transferred as part of an officer-exchange program between the US and Australia in order to duck military regulations keeping them apart. The closest they had been was being stationed together in Japan when their respective squadrons were deployed there, but stateside, well, it was a long way from Miramar to Lemoore and vise versa. Being in different branches didn't help, but at least the Navy and Marines kept their bases close to one another.

He stood up and headed up to the front of the room. His flight suit bore nearly all the same RAAF insignia as everyone else, the only differences being his Navy "wings of gold" and the US flag patch, since nominally, both he and AJ were officially members of No. 1 Squadron, not just visiting.

"Thank you. Alright. We've been practicing on tarmac but this is the real deal. You screw it up, and at best,
 the Reagan's divers pull you from an unplanned swim and the Australian tax payers are out the cost of your Hornet.
 And as this is going to be a dusk landing, you may need to go to your NVGs, so do whatever it takes to keep you from getting vertigo. Follow the ILS markers on your HUD and pay attention to what the Air Boss is telling you on the radio."
Jack paused and glanced around before continuing, "Remember that the magic number is 3. You want the three-wire. One or two is cutting it a little short, and four is your last stop to either waving off or seeing the South Pacific up close. And pay close attention to your power, you don't want to stall out too early. This might all sound like basic flight 101, but you're landing on a lot less space that is moving and errors tend to end up nearly fatal. Weather forecast looks pretty favorable, but that can always change."

He glanced at Cate, "Anything I missed?"

Offline Brian Coffin

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:09:45 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Elsewhere on the base, another contingent of the US Air Force had recently arrived. The 55th and 58th Rescue Squadrons were shipped over from Nellis Air Force Base, in order to get in some Combat Search and Rescue training in. The Pave Hawks of the 55th were being unloaded from C-5s borrowed from another squadron, but the PJs and CROs of the 58th had arrived ahead of them.

In the meantime, Captain Brian Coffin had taken the time to wander around the base. He had never been to Australia, but he had always wanted to, and had hoped that there would be time to see more than this base and the training grounds at Shoalwater. For the time being, he was in his Air Force ABUs, the distinctive but useless digital tigerstripe pattern utility uniform the US Air Force issued. It wasn't so much the pattern but the colors chosen, but it seemed all but the Marines lost their minds when it came time to pick camo colors, with the Army picking a pattern that was as useful as holding up a piece of blank white paper and saying it was blending in or the Navy's desire to pick all of the colors of the water for sailors, just to ensure that if they fell overboard, they'd be harder to find. Not that Brian or his guys would be wearing ABUs in the field, they had the same new OCP fatigues that the Army finally adopted for that. But this wasn't the field yet, which was also why he was wearing the maroon beret that came with being a Combat Rescue Officer in the Air Force.

As he made his way around, Brian paused as he came up on a collection of US Army helicopters, certain he had just heard a familiar voice, one from the RED FLAG last year when the Army actually showed up. Making his way over to their muster area to investigate, he now was sure that he had just found that team from 3rd Special Forces Group.

"Well goddamn. Never thought I'd see your sorry butt out here, Captain Scott Powers." Brian said with a wide grin as he approached. "How the hell are you, brother?"

@JoshtapositionActualOver

Offline Michelle Hanley

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:57:45 AM »
<USS Bonhomme Richard>

"...and if I catch EITHER of you stupid boots looking even in my general direction, you had better start praying to Chesty Puller AND Saint Mattis of Quantico that you get ninja punched before I actually punch you both in the back of your clearly empty heads so hard you'll think you went back in time! Are you window licking crayon eaters reading me?" Michelle had put up with being on a boat that was host to a bunch of 20-something men all trying to be the Alpha Male long enough. Two Lance Corporals who made the poor decision of making a comment within earshot were now going to serve as an example.

"Aye aye, sir." Both of them said in unison. She wasn't sure if either one of them really qualified as a "boot", a derogatory term among infantry for those who haven't seen combat deployments, but if they really didn't, then that would sure grate.

"Somehow, I friggin' doubt it. Now disappear before I lodge my boot so far each of your sixes that I'll start a fashion trend of wearing boots as boots!" Michelle shouted. Both Marines turned and quickly made their way to the nearest hatch to get out of the hangar deck.

She turned and headed back over to where her team was before all of this had started. All of them were now starting to chuckle and grin, having previously been glaring daggers at the two that Michelle had chewed out. And Michelle was sure that at some point, she'd be getting talked to about that.

"Think I got it right?" Michelle asked.

"I'd say so, boss. How'd you pull it off?" Voodoo asked with a grin.

"I follow Terminal Lance. It's good stuff, even if for Marines. Plus I love any time the author makes a Metal Gear Solid reference. So...any ideas yet what we're doing? Or are we letting all the regular rifle jocks go make PEW PEW PEW noises while we enjoy the worst cruise ever?" Michelle asked as she pulled up a chair next to the Seahawk helicopter they were all around. They had just been told to meet there, but no one had showed up yet, so the SEALs had just started to BS as usual.

There was just a round of shrugs and shaking heads.

"Greaaaat...."

Offline Captain Robert Henschel

• Private
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Rob blinked crystal eyes as Trish tapped his shoulder.  What Cate had said was just starting to sink in and he stared in disbelief.  "I, yes I do believe she just did," he whispered back, clenching his fists on his lap.  Oh that was not what he was expecting.  A dusk landing?  Yes, he trusted and loved Cate but it was still something he had never done before.  And then listening to Jack and just how much could do wrong was not helping him to calm down at all.  He silently groaned.  "Think she forgot to mention this little thing when we talked earlier," he whispered to Trish.

Offline Lukas Schoenert

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
<HMAS Canberra>

As he was coming up to the corner, Lukas had not stopped to look whether anyone had been coming and in the small confines of the corridor, there was not much chance for him to move out of the way when he finally realised that he was going to collide head on with a woman. He had stumbled backwards slightly, otherwise unhurt from the encounter - but he was more worried about the woman who he had ran into.

Her rank dictated a high ranking officer, to which he could not exactly pin point, Lukas remained calm, his hand going out to attempt to stabilize the woman.

"I am so sorry!"

"Ich entschuldige mich!" Lukas said, his hands raising up before realising that he had spoken in German and cleared his throat. "I apolgise, I was not looking where I was going. Are you okay, ma'am?"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:49:42 AM by Lukas Schoenert »
Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) -- Oberbootsmann
Facit Omnia Voluntas

Offline Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
<RAAF Amberly>

As usual Robyn was late, she did though have a rather good excuse this time. She had been on the blower to the Reagan for some twenty minutes getting the last minute details sorted out. Temporarily transferred from 77 Sqn to number One for the duration of Talisman Saber, she was in a word enjoying herself to the best of her abilities. Naturally as things like this go, she met new people, made some new friends in a very short time, that was her talent; just likeable, she was the last person in the world to make waves anywhere. Like with MacGregor, she didn't personally take to the woman, yet they got on quite well professionally.

She arrived just in time to hear the last few words from Commander Peirce, as always concise and to the point, Bobbie for her part didn't think he had missed anything at all, giving a small smile of satisfaction as she sat next to the man's wife AJ. "Wonder who'll be with who?" She asked casually. With only two of the ANG people with them, it was a given that Catherine would be taking that dreamy fiance of hers, that left the 'Nugget' Ramirez. Bobbie glanced over at her, she had a look of fear on her face. Having flown as second seat to both Americans in the last few weeks, it was a foregone conclusion in her mind which one she'd pick. "As much as I think a lot of your better half AJ, I think Trish would really get a big kick out of riding with you, what do you think?" In reality, she was hoping the girl would literally pee her flight suit. That was pretty much what happened to her the first time she did the same last year at the RimPac exercise.

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Private
  • 'Anger Management-use a gun'
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
<RAAF Amberly>

While Jack was speaking, Cate watched the assembled pilots and their crews. There was a little nervous tension in the air which was understandable for the most part. For the members of 1 Sdn, some of them at least, this would be their first 'real' touch down on a rolling ship; a few of them like herself had at least ten or so deck landings under their belt. The plan was essentially for twelve of the twenty four FA/18's of the squadron to land, turn around then take off again, at least four times in quick succession; the last take off will then have them flying as a RedFor unit against USAF defenders over the coast. One Squadron would be joined by VFA-27 and VMFA-242 as the aggressors, something Cate relished in. Their passengers, Rob and Trish were merely going along for the experience, cross service training was the 'official' term used; although Cate did think that maybe, just maybe the two of them might get some real hands on experience in the end. "No, that covered it very well Commander, thank you."

Cate then took up the 'pointy' stick, turned to the large screen behind her with the tactical map of the entire Queensland coast from Morton Bay up as far as Cairns. "The Reagan is 150 kilometers off the coast due east of Shoalwater bay, she has several escorts in attendance. This little mission isn't restricted to the fun of a deck landing, we still have training cycles to complete. One of those escorting ships, HMCS Halifax is towing a target barge 600 meters astern. I don't need to say this, as gunnery practice goes, the Canadians don't need their ship ventilated, only the big canvas target. Are we clear on that?" That will be their first priority, a single pass from each aircraft before starting the deck landing evolution.

Offline Commodore Anne MacGregor

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:09:58 AM »
<HMAS Canberra>

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

So often in these circumstances, each would blame themselves for such a mishap. In truth Anne was completely consumed in the latest reports she had filed, quite a few of them with her mind wondering if she had missed anything. Besides, she wasn't any spring chicken now, she was more than entitled to the odd mind snap. "Denke nichts davon." She said in perfect Deutsche, then backed it up before she surprised him further. "My former professor at University was German, his English was terrible so most of us kids back then did our best to make it easy for him. Good that I did learn as well, I spent the better part of a year at Landstuhl a while ago. Anne MacGregor, don't worry about the brass too much, I don't." Except of course in mixed circles, that was a given.

"But in case you're not familar, Commodore, same as your Flottillen Admiral." She gave him her best mothering smile to add at the end. "I simply wasn't watching, so don't fret about it. Nice catch by the way." She was grateful, at her age of fifty two, her bones might not be as they once were.