Author Topic: Exercise Talisman Saber  (Read 1191 times)

Offline L. Andrew Cannon

• Recruit
  • U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
Re: Exercise Talisman Saber
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 03:08:53 PM »
<USS Bonhomme Richard>

Andrew laughed, "Good thing I didn't ask him to balance that beach ball ay, Sealy?" Shooting a not so playful glare at Deuce, before looking back to the Lieutenant. Nodding along he smiled when the other two SEAL Operators chimed in about the color of the wire and their preference for doing demo at range with large caliber bullets, "I have to agree, BiP-ing things from range is fun - but I can't wear the crab if I don't do the job up close and personal. I - "

"GROUND TEAMS NOTED IN EXERCISE ORDERS ARE TO REPORT TO BRIEFING AND MUSTER FOR THEIR ASSIGNMENTS"

The PA sounded overhead, pausing Andrew looking back over his shoulder he caught the eye of his team's senior NCO and gave a single nod while holding his right hand up with the index finger out moving in a circle - the universal signal for 'go' in the military. With satisfaction he watched as Reynolds kicked the team into gear, turning back to his conversation Andrew extended his hand to the Lieutenant, "Nice to meet you and your team Lieutenant, but it sounds like it's play time, see you out there."

Jogging back towards his team, Andrew took in the team's state of readiness - Reynolds was still slick, no armor or gear on yet as he was going through the boys and checking them over before tending to himself. Slowing down Andrew came to a stop in the middle of the team and their gear, "Alright boys, how are we?"

"Green, up, up over here Lieutenant!" Scarbro said over Harrison's shoulder motioning to the two of them.

"Ready to earn my pay today Sir." Khan replied over his backpack sized PackBot 510 that he was securing in his assault pack.

Andrew looked to his two senior most soldiers, "Waiting on the elderly, as always." He smirked.

Ford simply flipped Andrew the bird over Reynolds' head, Reynolds shook his head at the young First Lieutenant, "You're not ready to go yet either bucko so zip it."

Shaking his head and laughing Andrew stepped up to his gear case and flipped it open, diving into his gear he quickly dawned his armor and the rest of his necessary gear for the mission before lastly securing his weapons on his person an HK 416 carbine with M320 grenade launcher, a Glock 17 TB and an M870 MCS. Grabbing his helmet Andrew railed the team to him, "Alright, so this is going to be a bit backward for us. Instead of defusing ordnance, we are emplacing it. Our objective is to secure a beachhead and make it impassable to a landing force."

"Uh Sir," Khan said, "We are Combat Engineers. Were EOD... That's not o-our..."

"Exactly the point, we know all the dirty tricks on how our enemies like to hide IED's and the like, so we're going to use that knowledge to secure that beachhead. We will be covered by A Troop British SAS. I'll brief the rest once we're airborne, there's a Osprey on the deck waiting for us with our munitions and other gear. Get up there."
L. Andrew Cannon
1LT, OD
Platoon Leader
28th Ordnance Co. (EOD)(ABN), 192nd Ordnance Battalion (EOD)

Offline Harrison Trevor-Jenkins

• Recruit
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
<RAAF Base Amberley>

Ever since touching down in Australia with their commercial flight, Murdock had not been getting off his case about the 'sudden' appearance of his Australian accent. Something he quipped back that if Murdock had been listening carefully, there were definitely still traces - only heightened by being back in his second home. The two pilots wandered the base before Harrison had spotted two familiar figures conversing.

"Captain Powers, Captain Coffin, good to see you again." Harry approached with a slight grin.

Offline Commodore Anne MacGregor

• Recruit
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
<HMAS Canberra>

-snip-

"Right then lad, I'll catch up with you again soon. I have no clue what the powers to be are going to throw at us tonight, but whatever it is with the current sea state you can guarantee some excitement. It wouldn't surprise me if our opposite numbers were going to try and board us. Good luck with that I say." The sheer height of the Canberra meant some great difficulty for them there and only by some quirk of fate if the rear sea doors were open would any force have the slightest chances, other than of course helo's landing teams by fast rope directly onto the flight deck. That would mean they would certainly have to take out the ships CIWIS systems first, and any defensive deck crews into the bargain.

Offline Scott M. Powers

• Recruit
  • US Army Special Forces
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:45 AM »
<RAAF Base Amberley>

Scott saw an approaching Airmen out of the corner of his eye but paid them no real attention figuring they had other places to go and things to do. Turning back to Brian to follow up on a comment he made, he was surprised to be interrupted by a USAF Pilot they both know. Brian due to the fact that the Major flew the CSAR HH-60's that Brian used to get around, and Scott by the fact that the Major was his sister's CO. Scott grinned and gave Major Jenkin's a quick salute, "Good to see you as well Major." Offering his hand to the USAF Major for a handshake, "Been a minute or two. How's everything
Scott M. Powers
CPT, SF (FA59)
Detachment Commander 
Deputy Assistant Operations Officer - Special Operations Coordinator
3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne)

• Recruit
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
<RAAF base Amberley>

Harrison responded in kind as Scott greeted him. Replying in a strong handshake, "Life's been well, can't complain. Just landed. You?"

It was out of the corner of his eye did he spy a pair of desert cammies, as he turned slightly on his feet to face a gunnery sergeant - wearing a Hog Tooth. Though he was not all too familiar with those boots on the ground but there had been talk of the 'Hunter of Gunmen' from those who he had conversed with.

Who's name slipped his mind but always an excuse to make a new connection here Down Under.

"Beautiful goddamn day, Sirs"

"Indeed it be a good one, perfect flying conditions. Good trip down, Gunnery Sergeant?" Harrison inquired.

Offline GySgt Bob Lee Gerhardt

• Recruit
  • Gunnery Sergeant (E-7), USMC
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »
RAAF Amberley

"Oh, I've had worse flights sir," the Gunnery Sergeant replied. He quickly turned to the Staff Sergeant just behind him. "Hey buddy, go ahead and find the bird that's supposed to take us to that Aussie ship, and get our gear stowed." he told him. A quick "Aye, Gunny was the reply.

"I still have dreams of that time in Fallujah," he added to his previous statement to the pilot. That had been one hell of a flight. A nighttime rooftop extraction of himself and his previous spotter. It was simple on paper. In reality, however, sh*t had hit the fan quite quickly. It was better not to dwell on it, though. "They also haven't gotten back to me about that complaint I lodged about your flying, sir" he then joked.

Offline Lukas Schoenert

• Recruit
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »
<HMS Canberra>

Lukas nodded, giving a smile over at the commodore, "Danke. And yourself. I should get back with my group, its a pleasure meeting you, ma'am."

He then parted ways - following the exact route he had taken back to their quarters to gather his kit, throwing it all on as they proceeded as a whole group. Though they knew the layout of the ship, as their team leader had been filling them in on important and strategic locations - they headed to the briefing room to gather their assignment in case of any last minute changes.
Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) -- Oberbootsmann
Facit Omnia Voluntas

• Recruit
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

Harrison softened a little, remembering that they had encountered one another before during the roof top extraction - one of the more death-defying and hair-raising aspects of his job as a pilot. He grinned, "And, yet, here you stand, gunny. Can't be that bad, now, could it?"

Offline Commodore Anne MacGregor

• Recruit
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »

Offline GySgt Bob Lee Gerhardt

• Recruit
  • Gunnery Sergeant (E-7), USMC
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:29 AM »
RAAF Amberley

"Oh, sure. If the biggest, baddest raghead sniper can't nail me, I doubt your shitty flying can, sir." the sniper retorted. His remark was a mix of humor and a slight air of cockiness. The cockiness was well deserved, however, as he was one of the world's leading snipers and he knew it. "'Sides, my wife would kill me if I died" he then joked.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:11:19 AM by GySgt Bob Lee Gerhardt »

Offline Scott M. Powers

• Recruit
  • US Army Special Forces
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
<RAAF Base Amberley>

The 3rd Group’s Green Berets had commandeered one of the hangers at RAAF Base Amberley to use as their quarters for the duration of Exercise Talisman Saber. Scott made his way into the temporary quarters after his meet and greet with a couple of old comrades, he weaved his way through the cots and case of gear towards his own cot. Arriving he plopped down with a heavy sigh and pulled his cellphone from his pocket and powered it up, pulling up his news app he began scrolling to see what was happening at home and abroad. After a few moments of peaceful, quiet scrolling Scott snapped up into a sitting position, “Really, CNN has this before we do?”

“fracking-A! Son of a bayitch!” Scott cursed and tossed his iPhone none too gently across the hanger, a reaction that was very unlike him. A loud thunk was the response as it impacted the wall before clattering to the ground. Other soldiers of from 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group looked over at Scott curious about his unusual outburst.

Jumping out of his seat he paced after his phone, “We just lost three brothers in Niger, and two others wounded in an ambushed most likely by AQIM on the border with Mali!” He said loudly over his shoulder, in a tone more akin to his normal self to the room of curious operators around him. That elicited a roar of conversation, curses, and questions from the operators in the room.

Maric rubbed the back of his neck. The cot was none too comfortable, but it beat other conditions that the Sergeant had been in. Here he was, yet another JFE to add to the books, all in all, a good time, but he was ready to get in the mix already.

A loud thunk, among other sounds, forced Maric from his thoughts. Somewhat wide-eyed as the iPod skittered along the floor some meters away from him. A questioning look which he was sure others shared was soon answered by the ODA’s CO.

It was a reality check and very much so a reminder that none of this was a game. Being the new guy, Maric simply remained silent, glancing over to his kit for a brief moment. He had just finished cleaning and assembling his MK17. Inspecting the weapon visually before setting it down.

“I don’t know who or what team, guys, there isn’t a statement from the DOD on who it was, we’ll have to wait till we hear it from the Colonel or Major...” Scott wanted to soapbox for a minute, grandstand about being Special Forces and all that went with it, but he knew that the operators around him from his team and the others were all thinking the same thing. They weren’t invincible or invulnerable. They were all human.

Instead, he took the non-soapbox route, “If you’re the praying type please do so for our fallen brothers and their families. If not, do whatever it is you do in an instance like this.” Turning to look at those he was addressing, “When we find out who made that ultimate sacrifice and you need or want to talk, know my door is open. Always…”

Turning back to where his phone lay, Scott picked it up gingerly. He checked it for damage, thank god he spent the $140 on the LifeProof case - the phone was fine, the case a little banged up, but that was the whole point. Pushing it into his pocket Scott stalked back towards his own cot, catching the eye of the cherry weapons Sergeant on his team, “Maric, you’re awfully quiet.”

“Not a hell of a lot to say, sir, it isn't my place. Bad stuff happened to good dudes.”
He could only shake his head. “I may be a professional...mess talker, but I understand time and place. Or I like to think I do at least.”

The Sergeant went silent again, knowing full well he didn't stand at attention or properly address the Captain, but it was a tad too late at that point. “Um...am I fucked up or what sir?” One thing about Talburn, he didn't beat around the bush...ever. This made him a bit of a sh*t disturber in the eyes of others sometimes.

Scott pointed at the open end of Maric’s cot, “May I?”

This shocked the young man a bit, figuring he was about to get one of those subtle beastings. “By all means.”

“Thanks,” Scott said and said near the end, leaning up against a crate behind him he propped one of his booted feet up on the cot’s edge. “Isn’t your place? Why not, you’re as much a part of this outfit as they are?” He didn’t want to use the past tense when regarding their slain brethren, at some point he’d have to. Leaning slightly to his right, Scott paused to dig a hand into his back pocket where he extracted a can of Skoal dipping tobacco, twisting the lid of Scott offered the can to Maric.

Marc held his hand up to keep the Skoal away. “Cope or bust sir. Skoal is that last ditch effort when the mini px overseas runs out of real dip … or Redman. Which by the way I've got logs for days.” He tried to keep it light, but in all seriousness wasn't quite in the mood.

“Let’s face facts here. I'm new. Sergeant or not, I came from the X-Ray program, straight select and went to school after school. Never deployed, and it's my first time on an ODA. I haven't proved a hell of a whole lot either. Nothing just comes with the territory, not here.”

Chuckling, Scott plucked a pouch from the container before sealing the tin while placing the pouch in his bottom lip, “Everyone has their preference, some just worse than others.” He said with a smile as he replaced the can in his pocket, “Good to know, so when I run out, I can harass you for a can … or four.” Lightly crossing his arms over his chest, Scott looked off into space, “You’re right, you’re a cherry, you’re an X-Ray, you’re a buck Sergeant, so what?”

He looked over at the young Sergeant and newest member of the ODA, “You were selected as an X-Ray, made it through assessment and selection before completing all five phases of training and now you’re here. Just like the rest of us. Which means someone, somewhere in our community.” Scott put a heavy emphasis on ‘our’, “Whomever, they were, they saw something in you and you proved them right. You’re here now. End of story, you haven’t deployed yet to an active combat zone with the team yet, neither have I. It doesn’t mean you are any less a Green Beret than I am or anyone else in the room.”

“You stop that sh*t right now, Sir. Your officer mind tricks have no power here,” he gave a wry smirk. While the Captain was right, and it was pretty cool that such things didn't go unnoticed he wouldn't push it.

“Granted, yeah true. But you got your time in. There's no question of whether or not you'll do what you gotta when it's time, and everyone knows that. No one’s going to question that because you're trusted and dependable. Secondly...well hell I lost count. I just know that there's a lot to be done on my part, I feel I'm too damned new to be weighing in on certain things. Feels awkward.”

He gave an uncharacteristic shrug, somewhat at a loss. “I love this community, but I don't know it as well as others. Haven't been here long, haven't sweat or bled nearly enough. Is that assumption wrong on my part?”

“You underestimate my power, Sergeant,” He replied in jest, keeping with the theme of Star Wars quotes used effectively in a sentence. Chuckling, Scott shook his head, “You’re not wrong, my only advice is, if you feel as you say you do, do these two things. A, listen to the advice you’re senior team members dole out and take it to heart. B, do your job to the best of your abilities all day, every day. If you don’t know or don’t understand, ask questions, ask all the questions! Give the team and yourself the 110% you know you can…” He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts and spit in the Red Bull can he used for a spit cup. “The team doesn’t want you to fail, if you fail we all fail, so no pressure Sergeant.” With a shrug of his own, “I would’ve raised some serious hell with the S-1 and my commanders if I hadn’t been confident you’d integrate into the team and in what you did in assessment plus the Q-course, what you can do now, and what you’ll do when it comes down to it. If Chief Timoti or Master Sauce McLean had any doubts about you, you wouldn’t be here. Plain and simple. So what does that tell you?” He nudged Maric with his shoulder, “What does it say when three combat tested soldiers, essentially vouched for you, an unknown quantity. And what does that say when two of whom have more collective time in then we’ve been alive combined?”

“Simple, tells me I don't entirely suck at my chosen profession.” He smirked, giving a light humorous scoff. “Well damn, now you got me feeling all hell yeah motivated… god...I'm never saying that again.”

“Oh thank god, Talburn, I was worried I was going to have to break out the crayons for a second there… whew…” Scott looked at his watch before pushing himself up off the cot, “Take that motivation and give me some laps…” He said with as much seriousness as he could muster before a cheeky smile broke through, “I’m kidding, don’t do that. However, we’re gonna act like you never said that,” He grinned, “However, I need you to hold on to all that ‘hell yeah motivation’,” Scott said using air quotes, “We’re gonna need it when we drop in on that commo station and wreck those 7th Royal Australian Regiment’s boys who are guarding it.”

“Hell Cap I love a fight, give me the Mk 48 and all the brass. I'll mess it up tonight.” He grinned, showing a bit of his destructive nature. “Seriously though I don't like losing so...grunt rules for this one?”

Scott had to resist the urge to facepalm, “If we can't-do the whole sneaky in and blow it up, sure, grunt rules…” Walking towards his own cot and gear Scott looked over his shoulder at the Sergeant, “Get your sh*t together and stand to, we’re supposed to be at the SP in a bit.”

“All this sneaking around, making me soft. It's your fault if I start drinking craft beer from a wine glass.” He rolled his eyes slightly, though being a bravo through and through. “Yeah, I'm good to go, sir, more or less wargaming in my head.”

Maric Talburn
Sergeant, SF
Junior Weapons Sergeant
Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne)

&
Scott M. Powers
CPT, SF (FA59)
Detachment Commander 
Deputy Assistant Operations Officer - Special Operations Coordinator
3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne)