Author Topic: Amman, Jordan  (Read 178 times)

Offline Ed Connolly

• Recruit
Amman, Jordan
« on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Queen Alia International Airport
Two Days Prior To Operation Dynamite

Ed Connolly stood waiting at baggage claim in a simple black and white suit, though he had no tie on, his sunglasses instead clipped there as he waited. While he had no desire to wear a suit in the middle of the day in Jordan, more comfortable attire would have made it harder to conceal his sidearm, a Kimber Warrior SOC (TFS), and carrying in an airport was already illegal as sin. But no one was taking a chance on this situation, especially not the Marine Raider.

His phone in his pocket buzzed, and he took it out, reading the text message before pocketing it again. He headed straight for one of the carousels, as the text indicated, where he saw who he was here fore. She was a young woman, mid-20s or early-30s, wearing a white blouse and dark green slacks, and a blue and white headscarf covering her hair and head, a respectful gesture to the local customs, but still coming off a bit "western". Ironic, since the woman he approached was Russian. She picked up a pair of black duffel bags from the carousel before spotting him. Without a word, she approached him, and Ed took the lead to exiting the airport, where a black Suburban SUV was waiting. A young man in a blue shirt and khaki slacks was waiting by the SUV, opening the trunk and taking the woman's bags for her, before everyone hopped in and the vehicle departed.

"Welcome to Amman. Major Ed Connolly, US Marines." Ed said, finally introducing himself.

"Captain Larissa Koralova, SVR. Quite honestly, I never expected to get sent here, much less in these circumstances." Larissa said, speaking in English that would have been mistaken for an American native. There was no trace of a Russian accent at all in her speech.

"Yeah, well, desperate situations and all that. You up to speed?" Ed asked.

"Yes, plus I've got the updated information on the warheads. Seems our Strategic Rocket Forces had to do some serious digging, but we found it. The warheads were from an RSD-10, what NATO designated SS-20. It was intended as an intermediate range ballistic missile, truck launched, introduced in the late 70s until they were decommissioned as part of the 1987 Intermediate Range Nuclear Forces Treaty." Larissa explained.

"Okay, so what are we looking at?" Ed leaned back in his seat.

"Three 150 kiloton warheads. That's ten times the power of the Hiroshima bomb." Larissa replied.

"And we don't know who got their hands on them. Do you?" Ed looked at Larissa. If he was taken aback by the information, he didn't show it.

"Unfortunately, we're stuck with the same list as your intelligence agencies, which does little to narrow it down. It also does little to narrow down the potential targets, considering that the usual suspects could detonate them here, Europe, Russia, the United States, China or Japan." Larissa replied.

"So many targets, so little time." Ed let out a sigh, "Alright. So, here's the deal. We're putting together a multinational SOF unit. We've got operators coming in soon, and you're right now the wildcard. I don't need another voice on the headset, I need someone with us in the field. Where do you stand on that?"

"I was trained to fight, if that's what you're getting at. Primarily urban environments, but I know how to handle myself in a hostile situation. I've never fired a shot in anger, but I've stayed in practice, particularly while I was in Venezuela for 3 years right around the death of Hugo Chavez." Larissa replied.

"It is what I'm getting at. Alright, that's as good an answer as I'm going to get in this case. We're heading for Muwaffaq Salti, we'll be there before the ground team arrives, so that'll give you time to hit the range." Ed said.

"Good. Oh, while we're there, you might want to ask if the Jordanians will loan you some VSS rifles. I'm not sure how it came to be that they have them, but they're quite useful. A friend of mine in FSB Vympel Team mentioned it to me before I left." Larissa offered.

"The hell is a VSS?" Ed asked.

"Sort of a hybrid between a sniper rifle and assault rifle, integrally suppressed and fires a heavy armor piercing bullet that can penetrate six millimeters of steel plate at 100 meters, a two millimeter steel helmet at 500 meters." Larissa replied. Ed considered that for a moment before nodding.

"I won't make any promises, so expect to practice with an M4. But if I can get a couple, that might come in handy. Sure beats a suppressed MP5, that's for sure. But we'd have to get the Jordanians to part with them and the unit in question is largely NATO, so there might be a hell of a lot of resistance using any Russian hardware if we don't have to. Just don't hold your breath." Ed said, "For now, either enjoy the terrain or catch some Zs, it's going to be a few hours."

"It was a long flight from Moscow, I'll do the latter. Sir." Larissa cracked a small grin before leaning her seat back.

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Recruit
Re: Amman, Jordan
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
<Muwaffaq Salti Airbase to Amman City>

After a little over a week on the Reagan, the pilots and crews of Carnage flight, were more than happy to join their friends from their Squadron in Jordan. Now with 12 FA/18F aircraft in the shelters, they added to the allied efforts already in place taking the fight right up ISIS's face as the last holdouts in both Syria and Iraq were routed. Of course the war wasn't going to end there, with predictions that the free world could be fighting this brand of terrorism for at least a hundred years.

They weren't of course totally free of the ship, as Carnage flight were effectively filling the void for one of the Reagan's own flights that had been left behind in Australia to conduct further training with the RAAF as both forces were in preparation for the reception of the F35. But for now it was R & R for Carnage, a little downtime before they were thrown right back into it. Cate of course was still smarting a little from her dressing down that Colonel Bishop had delivered, even though it had been explained to him more than once she was merely following orders. In the end it took a little persuasion from Cate's own mother who had spent a couple of days on the Reagan while in transit, to get Bishop to calm down and also to stop the younger MacGregor from decking him. That naturally brought a few giggles from her squadron mates, as well as making many of the Reagan's crew walk around her. Only those who knew Cate personally and closely knew she was 90% bluff, but there was a side to her that you didn't cross, nearly everyone knew where that line was.

An early start saw the four crews as one hitting the city, with of course the usual advice from their commanders to wear civilian clothing, the women especially while not instructed to wear the hijab, there was a sense that Wing Commander Ferguson was hinting that they should look somewhat 'less' provocative. With the temperatures hovering around the low 30's, it was warm but a dry warmth at least. The first thing on their bucket list was a little shopping and of course a decent meal that wasn't delivered on a partitioned tray courtesy of the US Navy. The Jordanian Air Force Mini bus pulled to a stop outside the City Mall, Amman, they had all day with the driver telling them he'd be back at 1500 hours to pick them up.

Dressed casually in a light blue cotton long sleeve shirt, beige jeans and her 'Aussie' R&M Williams boots, Cate did of course add a scarf, tied around her neck naturally. She would if they ended up doing the touristy thing in visiting a historical mosque, the scarf would be covering her head. That was Cate all over, coupled with the fact she spoke Arabic fluently, she had been here in Jordan several times, it made her the unofficial team guide.

"So, food or shopping?" She asked looking up at the Mall. It was very atypical, possibly resembling anything found in either Australia or the US; the principle difference being the sounds (constant horn blaring from irate drivers and the call to prayer from the many mosques). She knew that for herself, AJ, Kim, Trish and Bobbie it'd be shopping; but in respect for Jack, Rob and Beckett (he, Bobbie had to ask Cate to bring him along; which Cate happily accepted if for nothing else a little balance) they could forgo that at least for an hour or two. "Keep walking." She said in low tones to one shady looking character giving the women the eye, Cate stood aside so that he could see clearly the three men they had with them. That was enough to make the creep pick up some speed. He must have been a foreigner, as Cate had found in general being in Amman she had received nothing but courtesy from the local men, but she had to make mention of it. "Never gets old does it guys? No matter where in the world you end up, there are always the perverts and dickheads around." Now free of the base, Cate's arm was firmly entwined around Rob's.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:01:24 PM by Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor »

Offline Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »

The smallest member of the group was squashed in between Beckett and his sister Kim, with Bobbie taking every opportunity she could to make sure she was squeezed at closely as possible to the man. Possibly a little too close for some, but neither of them cared much for diplomacy either. Yes they had been warned most recently by Cate about respecting the locals in such things, but for Bobbie it meant nothing. Not that she would go out of her way to offend, to her mind state it was just the most natural thing; they were lucky in that in Jordan, things were a little less formal than some Arabic states they could have found themselves in.

Now that they were here, Bobbie was determined to make the best of it. "Move your arse Kimbo." She said sweetly to her bestie, there was no way she was getting out on Beckett's side, the traffic side with the madmen driving around this city. She did of course grin broadly at Beckett to her right when she said it, the man had to get used to her after all (which he at some point might regret, though hopefully not). She did hear what Cate said, but in Bobbie's mind she had other plans. After a week and more at sea, which she spent most of the time being sick, Bobbie wanted nothing more than some alone time with her man and that meant possibly finding an excuse to slip away. It was regretful that they had to leave Kodiak back at the base, she heard that there was some great spots out around the Dead Sea and knowing how Beckett's dog love to swim, she hoped they might get the chance to take that in their itinerary. But for now they were a part of the group and there was one thing she was longing for, a genuine Kebab, not one of your 'tailored to the western tastes' kind, but a real lamb one she knew the area was famous for. "Food, please for the love our stomach's sanity can we get some decent food somewhere?" Already she could smell it, as apart from the sounds, the smells were the next thing that hit your senses.

Offline Jack Pierce

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 02:04:51 AM »
Jack and AJ kept to themselves, but the traces of a scowl were evident on Jack's face. They had been content to keep matters in the past, of course. The shouting match had gone nowhere, especially after the Army Colonel stormed into their Ready Room and offered all of the pilots a trip to the Canberra to face the very operators they had endangered. Both of them let it go, there was little else to come of it, but it seemed that not everyone was willing to accept that much.

82 Wing, the command that No. 1 Squadron belonged to in the RAAF's structure, had sent two rather nasty e-mails, one for each of them. In it, it was indicated that Lieutenant Commander John B. Pierce, USN/Major Adrianna J. Pierce, USMC was receiving an official letter of reprimand in their files for "disruption of unit cohesiveness in a combat situation" and that it was their first, last, and only warning. It went on to make it clear that Cate had the authority to not only ground them but have their presence in the RAAF terminated, which would also carry a court martial for Insubordination and Conduct Unbecoming, as well as any other relevant charges upon their return to American command authorities.

Both Jack and AJ saw an underlying meaning behind it; question Cate McGregor again, and they would pay for it with damage to their careers. And so, neither of them were in a good mood, but only went because they had already agreed to the trip the night before.

Jack said nothing in response, while AJ just scoffed and rolled her eyes, but also said nothing. Jack was making a point to avoid eye contact with anyone else in the group, while his left hand opened and closed into a fist since leaving the base. On the other hand, if looks could have killed, AJ's eyes would have given the Death Star a run for its money.

Offline Troy

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:04 PM »

(2 Days Prior, Somewhere over South China Sea)

With a load of troops urgently needed in Jordan, Amelia and her crew had been tasked to ferry them from Australia. While the C-17 had some advantages over a C-5, range was not one of them. For that reason, they were carrying an extra set of pilots and were currently tracking more North than West. As the aircraft approached Singapore airspace, Amelia got on the radio with their military Air Traffic Control.

“This is US Air Force flight 147 enroute for Paya Lebar Airbase. We are about 10 minutes from entering Singapore airspace.”

The reply back was short and to the point.
“Acknowledged 147, we have you on RADAR.”

A short while later Sergeant Onselen addressed the passengers.
“In a few minutes we’ll begin our descent into Paya Lebar Airbase, the local time is 1500 hours.Our ground time will be 3 hours from landing to wheels up. There is a museum on base run by our hosts at the Royal Singapore Air Force, if you so wish to visit. From here, it is about 7 1/2 hour flight to Al Dhafra Air Base. Stay on base and be back at the Passenger terminal by 17:15, and all should be good.”

There had been talk of staying overnight in Singapore. However, the Brass was able to rustle up some RAAF pilots to fly the second leg of the flight. With no good airbases to touch down at between Singapore and Abu Dhabi, a USAF KC-10 from Afghanistan was dispatched to refuel them over the middle of India. Once at Al Dhafra, lodging was arranged for everyone to allow them some proper rest before the final leg.

(Current Time)

Once the plane touched down at Prince Hassan Air Base, and the plane reached its parking space, Amelia moved to the cargo section of the plane.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Jordan. On behalf of the entire flight crew, I thank you for flying with the United States Air Force.”

Offline Captain Robert Henschel

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »

As much as Rob loved to fly he was glad to be back on solid ground for a bit.  flying was more his thing then the ships and being on the ship had nearly put him over the edge.  Thankfully though they had a bit of down time to get their composure back and hopefully cool some tempers.  He could see by the way some in the group were acting that there were still some hard feelings.  Hopefully a day away from everything would be good for all of them.

That day he had been able to dress down some in his faded jeans, boots, and a ball cap pulled over his blonde hair.  He wore a khaki colored shirt to help with the heat.  As they walked he enjoyed looking around.  It was always interesting to travel to different places and see the different people and the culture.  Although he didn't like how a certain man seemed to be watching the girls in their group.  He groaned when he heard the word shopping, but would deal with it if it made Cate happy.  "I vote food," he said, keeping an eye on the guy Cate had mentioned.

"Yeah seems some things never change," he said as the other guy hurried away.  He was grateful to have Cate so close to him.  He hated not being able to be with his fiance more, but knew they had to be careful when actually on duty.  He glanced over at the others in their group.  AJ and Jack still seemed a bit perturbed with them and Bobbie was chatting a mile a minute.  He had to laugh at that.

Offline Flight Lt Kim Paine

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »

Kim glared at her friend.  "Hey," she warned.  "Just cause you and my crazy brother have a thing for each other," she teased, seeing Beckett's face flush.  She grinned impishly as she slid out of the car.  She was truly happy for her friend and brother.  Maybe one day she would meet that special someone.  Right now though she was more focused on her career.  She bit back giggles as she watched Bobbie sidle as close to Beckett as she could without being extremely obvious.  Of course Beckett wasn't much better.

"Ooh, food first then we can shop til we drop, "she grinned, earning groans from both Beckett and Rob.  She wasn't so sure AJ and Jack were really paying attention as they didn't add anything. "Its so gorgeous here.  I do hope we have at least a bit of time to actually enjoy the sights.  And it's nice to be back on solid ground," she chuckled, having been the one beside her friend when Bobbie had been sick most of the time on the boat.

Offline Flt Sgt Beckett Paine

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »

The ride over in the squished car had been fine with Beckett.  and if he noticed that Bobbie squished a bit closer then she needed to he wasn't about to complain.  He knew his sister could tell something was going on in his head, but he wasn't ready to talk about it yet.  Yes, he was falling fast and hard for the little spit fire beside him, but he wanted things to be perfect when he finally got up the nerve to propose.  Not just some off the wall proposal.  That wasn't his style and Bobbie deserved better.

He chuckled when Bobbie told Kim to move.  'Careful, she has a temper," he teased, earning a nasty look from his sister.  He loved teasing Kim and Kim usually found a way to get him back for it too, so it went both ways. "Ooh, shopping.  That just sounds painful," he said, slipping an arm around Bobbie after he caught sight of the guy watching them. "I think I'm gonna need some food in order to endure a whole shopping trip with these two," he chuckled, shoving Kim playfully in the side.  He wished he could have Kodiak here.  The dog would love the wide open spaces.  Hopefully before the trip was over they would be able to take Kodiak out for a good run.

Offline Lt Trish Ramirez

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:20:26 PM »

Someone wasn't happy, it didn't take a volume of rocket science to notice on both Jack and AJ. Being her compatriots, but friends with Cate it kind of left her in the middle of the sandwich, Trish hated that yet she knew somehow she had to smooth the waters. Being last out, since she was the only one sitting in the front passenger seat next to the driver, made it just that much easier. She ducked past the others to set herself up next to Jack and AJ. "Cate, you guys go on ahead, I need to speak with the Commander for a mo, won't be long." Taking one step back, she whispered to them both. "Can we talk sir, ma'am, I think there are some things you should be in the know of so to speak."

Offline Jack Pierce

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:41:37 AM »
Jack and AJ shared a glance, before Jack spoke up. He had a good feeling that AJ was biting her tongue so hard that she might be drawing blood soon from doing so in a literal sense. He kept his voice low and let the others get ahead, despite internally wanting right here and now to settle this matter. But he couldn't, not for his own sake but because he didn't want AJ's career to end along with his when they got sent back to the US in chains after he lit this problem up like a target on the bomb range.

"What's done is done. And that's all there is to it. Just expect that you and Robert may have to bum a couple Falcons from the locals unless you're good on Hornets. We're going back to the Fleet." Jack replied with a scowl, "I'm not here to play Yes-Man. And I'll be go to hell before I let someone use their name to get the brass to threaten to take away my wife's wings. So if you think you can somehow defend that behavior, by all means."

Offline Ed Connolly

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 12:58:25 AM »
<Muwaffaq Salti Airbase>

As soon as the C-17 was parked and unloading, Ed was waiting for the disembarking personnel on board.

"Welcome to Jordan, ladies and gentlemen. Major Ed Connolly. I hope you all got some rest on the trip over,
 because this isn't a day trip to the spa. We've got an op and it needs boots on the ground yesterday. Once you've all gotten your stuff, follow me."

"I'm Captain Larissa Koralova, by the way. A pleasure." Larissa chimed in.

"The Russians are here to play ball with us, so don't be That Guy. You really don't want to be him." Ed added.

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<Amman City>

Cate had already started to move by the time everyone was out of the mini bus, she did a rapid head count, happy that all of them were together and able to spend some bonding time as they call it. To her that was important, being who she was she had to get into the headspace of each and everyone of them; but for now there remained one puzzle she simply couldn't work out, which was why both Jack and AJ seemed to carrying some kind of angst or resentment towards her. She couldn't figure it out, although there were rumors she heard from some of their wing mates that some toady Wing Commander back home had did a number on them? Why that she couldn't figure out either but for the cohesion of the unit she was determined to mend it and being with the Squadron and away from the ship until called was the best chance she had. That Bishop bloke tried very hard to take her down a peg as well, fat chance, not with her temper. "Food it is then and I know just the place, the Food Court. You can get anything there from Macca's to fine French cuisine if that's your number, come on it gets busy around this time of day...no Rob, doesn't matter where you go, some things are all the same always." Just a straight answer, one she wished wasn't so.

As she moved to go on, she heard Trish call out to them. Cate turned a little to see her with Jack and AJ, now what the hell is going on she asked herself. But seeing the Nugget of the Squadron wearing a rather happy face, she waved to her calling back. "Don't be long, just head straight through the front doors and down the first escalator." Then she continued on.

Offline Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:33 PM »

<Amman City>

"Even though I threw up every morsel that passed my lips on that ship, my stomach has settled pretty damned well now as I said its a sanity thing for me if I don't eat." She wasn't even half smiling, then looked directly at Kim and Beckett, but over behind them she could see Trish talking to AJ and Jack. Everything else she had on her mind to say went out the door right then as she asked them both. "Either of you know what that's about?" Then Cate yelled back and forth calling them to come on. "Best not keep the old woman waiting." She had to giggle then, even if Cate was only four years her senior.

Offline Lt Trish Ramirez

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:46:17 PM »

<Amman City>

Trish was shocked, no she was appalled. Wherever that came from had to have some source and it sure as hell wasn't Cate, she knew that emphatically. "Okay, I'm out of the loop here as it seems like someone has their wires crossed sir. Look..." She paused, it was hard to talk to officers much more senior than herself but she did her best. "I have no idea where that came from but if my guess is right you think Cate MacGregor shafted you both to some higher up back in Aus? With all due respect sir, ma'am, I've known Cate for just on a year now and if ever there was an ace team player its her. She'd rat on herself before she'd turn one of her squadron buddies in, of that you can take my word. You both saw how she spoke to Bishop, she doesn't give a flying frak for the brass, only her people and both of you are on that list. Period."

Offline Jack Pierce

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:56 AM »
<Amman>

"I don't give a singular crap about what Colonel Bishop said, because he was right to be p*ssed at us. Period. And he didn't back off because he was afraid of her, he's a Green Beret and full-bird Colonel to boot, so can we stop pretending it was anything other than politics? AJ rolled her eyes, "Same thing got us, though because we're the dissenting opinion closer and easier to hit, Wing Command pulled the biggest d-bag move for her. So spare me about how much she cares about us when I have a letter of reprimand for "disrupting unit cohesion in a combat situation" now in my file and some pompous jagoff at Amberly telling me that questioning her again will cost me everything I worked for."

Jack put a hand on her shoulder, he hadn't really intended to get into details, the ANG Lieutenant really didn't need to know, but for someone who struggled to make something better out of their life like Adrianna did, Jack understood why she was emotional about it.

"I know the other half of her reputation, Lieutenant, the part where she has been known to be an enemy that one doesn't want to have. But as the XO, I'm supposed to be the one to say when a bad call shouldn't have been made.
 It's not even about that, anymore. That really violated our trust in her and in the chain of command. The message it sends is that we're not to question our CO."
Jack let out a breath as AJ turned away for a moment, "It wasn't an easy situation for us to begin with, to be the only two outliers in the group that thinks she's the greatest pilot to grace this Earth. My GIB wouldn't shut up about how much trouble we'd be in for going against her, and between you, Rob, Bobbie, Kim, and Dave, it's like we're in her fan club, and that's damned dangerous. If that same scenario came up again, but this time it resulted in a blue-on-blue, even if the criminal charges get dropped, the guilt is still there. The knowledge that we killed those on the ground we were protecting."

"And if it's not her, it's someone at Wing level who believes they're doing her a favor. That's just as dangerous, it means we're going to be micromanaged to death like this is Yankee Station in 1968. If it was just at me, I'd just bite down and bear it, but AJ fought her entire life to be here, and if I could, I'd probably take a ball bat to whoever pulled the trigger on this threat. Because that's what it is; a threat."