Author Topic: By Sea, Land and Air. Talisman Saber.  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Commodore Anne MacGregor

• Recruit
Re: By Sea, Land and Air. Talisman Saber.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
<HMAS Canberra>

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<HMAS Canberra>

"The pleasure was mine Lukas, make sure though I don't see you under my official capacity." This was quite possibly Anne's twentieth or so fully sea going exercise and in all those events, there had been injuries both minor and serious with the worst of them occurring during RAS cycles and there was one of those slated for 0200 hours with the RFA Lyme Bay and USS Shiloh. Fingers crossed it would all go smoothly, more so considering the next few hours until then will be extremely intense.

When Lukas was out of sight, Anne turned about herself to head back to the elevator then sick bay. Until the actual attack alarm went off, that is where she would stay. Once the action began, it was her job to assign tags to the 'wounded' and 'KIA'd'.

Offline Wihan Meinertzhagen

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
<RAAF Amberly, SANDF Contingent Deplyment Area>

"What do you mean you lost it?" Wihan enquired incredulously as he stood beneath the canvas roof of the loaned NZDF 14 x 14 tent.
"Well...it there a minute ago. I am sure of it" came the reply. Trooper Dawson was a newbie to the unit. He was also a 'problem child'. A problem child assigned to Wihan section. Fresh off post-selction training he was having problems getting his act together.
"Breath Wihan...breath..." Wihan told himself in his mind. "Things like this happen...you did it yourself once...no use getting angry at him- he's new" he told himself as he opened his eyes and looked Dawson in the face. "Besides- pretty sure there is a law over here about hurting dumb animals". Wihan sighed and shook his head wearily...so this was what it was going to be like as a Sergeant?
"Find it Dawson...it didn't just get up and waltz off by itself" he said evenly and with as much calm as he could muster, "You have five minutes...go".
"Corperal!" the newbie said and scuttled off in a desperate search for the GPS tracker.
"Everything in order Corperal Meinertzhagen?" Captain Hague enquired. Hague was the contingent commander of the SANDF on the exercise, made up of exclusively of the Special Forces Regiment. He knew damn well that it wasn't in order- the 'Dawson factor' was in play. Not to worry- he knew where the GPS tracker was...it was in the top of Dawson's pack. Dawson in the afternoon and the running about had forgotten it was there. Hague wasn't going to tell Wihan that...an officer needs his fun too- besides, it was good for an officer to get one over on the NCOs once in a while.
"Almost sir" Wihan replied, curious as to the impish glint in the officer's eye that matched the knowing smirk. It occured to him that Hague must have been listening in on the recent conversation.  "Just a few things to tidy up" he answered. "Like an unmarked grave for Dawson if he doesn't find that blimmin' GPS" he thought peevishly.
"Thomas- you got any idea where that damn GPS is? fracking left it on my bedspace an hour ago?" Dawson's voice enquired from the other side of the tent. "How am I supposed to know?" the Xhosa trooper replied testily, "I am the one carrying the radio- not naviagting!". It was Dawson's big chance to impress on the exercise- he was to be navigator for the field phase of the exercise for the SANDF troopies and he NEEDED that GPS!  "Well where the hell is it then?!" the increasingly stressed Dawson enquired urgently.
This was getting too much for Hague. If he didn't let the cat out of the bag, he'd either give the game away by laughing or split his sides trying not to laugh.
"Dawson- have you looked in the top of your pack? Where I told you an hour and half ago to put it?" he asked, looking at the boots as he scuffed a small hole with the toe of it.
There was a desperate scrabble, followed by the rustle of canvas. "Oh! Here it is" Dawson annnounced fishing the lost item out of his pack, "Hey Corperal I found- " he said smiling, before he stopped short seeing the rather annoyed look on Wihan's face.
"Put...it back...and don't...lost it again" a clearly aggreived Wihan advised. Sheepsihly Dawson slunked off to do as he was told. Looking around he finally understood. "You knew all the time, didn't you sir?" he said, feeling royally duped. Hague held up his hands. "Burdens of command Wihan..." he chuckled innocently, "You have yours...I have mine. Besides...where is it said I can't have some fun now and again" he said laughing.
Wihan shoulders slumped...it could have been worse he supposed. "That was not very gentlemenly of you sir" he said rubbing his forehead. "Never said it was...it just implied by tradition" Hauge replied.

The camp PA system announced the call for all contingent command staff to assemble for a conference. Hague looked at his watch and grunted, before pulling his maroon beret from his pocket. "Sergeant-Major...you're camp bwana' until I get back" he said, then looked at Wihan. "Take a break for God sake Wihan- you need it" then left the tent.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:26:01 AM by Wihan Meinertzhagen »

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Private
  • 'Anger Management-use a gun'
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 03:18:03 AM »
<RAAF Amberly-Shoalwater Bay>

"Captain Henschel are you going to stand there all day chinwagging?" Sometimes you might be confused by Cate, especially if you were close to her. She could be ever so charming, a real honey one moment, then the next she was the professional officer to the nth degree. Well almost. "If you don't get your booty up here and in that seat..." the gloved finger pointed to the rear cockpit. "....I will leave without you." Whilst technically she wasn't serious, again with her you'd never know. It was a difficult physical position for her at that very moment, as she had to lean over the side where there wasn't a lot of room to move.

The helmet went on quickly after that, oxygen and radio check before going through the pre-flight checks. Normally Cate would do it twice, this time though she was well aware that Warren had given her the thumbs up for everything in the green, so she simply checked everything off rapidly one by one as she looked at her knee card. After that came the start, ignition on, seconds later the engines roared into life. Radio check, AJ and Jack were on the ball. "Carnage one-one check. AJ, when we have the green light, lead us out, Hatfield if you're on, you'll follow, Jack and I will take off in a pair. We'll transit to the gas station over Gladstone at Angels ten, from there we'll proceed directly to the Halifax, if we can find her. Weatherman said it'll be closing in around 1800 hours, a possible storm front from the south west. Diamond four as we get our act together after take off." She glanced back over the side, giving Rob the evil eye through her visor.

Offline Alastair Lansbury

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 03:39:30 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

"Hell bells, sunshine." Frankie breathed out, rubbing his eye for the hundredth time to date.

The general consensus all around was alert but they were suffering jet-lag to different degrees as they had touched down in RAAF Amberly. They had been through their briefing, that they were allowing Yanks to take over a Kiwi ship; HMNZS Endeavour. To which, Alastair had classified as one of their own, being that their Chief of State was HM the Queen and they were to be the boarding party in an attempt to regain the ship.

They had been through the steps before, trained and trained upon vessels but, yet, they were not going up against pirates, they were going up against someone of an equal level - DEVGRU, SEALs.

"Hobbes, you tending to my eye or what?" He asked, though his tone kept light, being that after all, it was not a big issue - his eye would sort itself out eventually.

Alastair stood off to one side, watching his team with his arms folded across his chest as he eyed up their newest addition to their boarding party - Alden Ainsley, both as an extra member as well as their second demolitions guy. The man stood inches taller than him, but yet was integrating himself along with the group just fine.

Broderick had two patrols under his belt for this boarding attempt in rendering JS Atago combat ineffective, for the other patrol was training elsewhere, readying themselves for a different mission if needed back in Hereford. An Atago-class guided missile destroyer, he had done his homework as he slapped a magazine into his rifle. They had gone over weapons checks, their drawn up battle plan and a walk through of what they could expect and what sort of measures they would take in order to counter-act them.

It was here where he was to expect the highest performance from those specifically able to carry charges. They knew to target the engine room; but, so did those on the ship. At the same time, they needed to get
the missile launching systems offline and the crew practically rendered defenseless.

Brody shook his head, running a hand through his beard in contemplation as his 2IC walked up to him, "Boats prepped and ready for when sh*t kicks off, Stone." His eyes turned to Fullerton with a ghost of a grin on his features. The nerves were palpable, especially with an exercise so large.

Offline Captain Robert Henschel

• Private
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 08:06:04 AM »

Rob glanced up at Cate, a grin on his handsome face.  "No ma'am.  We're just finishing up," he assured her.  He was still learning her different moods, but he wouldn't put it past her to leave him if she was able to.  Thankfully she didn't have that option for this training mission or she probably would leave his butt on the ground.  He flashed Warren a grin before climbing the ladder into the rear of the cockpit.

Rob slammed his helmet on, making sure everything was in order.  He flashed his fiancee a grin when she glared at him. "Hey now, I got in.  No more evil eye," he shot back.  "I was just being informed I better hang on."  He wasn't about to say that Warren had told him about Cate's dad/

Offline Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield

• Private
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 11:23:37 PM »

"Brother or not Kimbo.." Bobbie started up her ladder, it was a stretch for her as well. Not like some long legged pilots she knew, casting a quick glance over to Cate's aircraft, seeing how easily the woman climbed up like some preying mantis or something. God she detested tall people sometimes (unless of course it was Beckett, now he was different). "...I can say what I like about him, or do you want me to really gross you out and tell you what a great kisser he is hmmm?" Always teasing, that was the rapport the two had between them. A few seconds after that she was in her cockpit strapping in when she heard the sound check. "Carnage one four on." That was first before she even got to do the checks. Another minute later the twin engines blasted into life. "Copy that Carnage One."

She had to wait for Kim to strap in, then she could begin the slow roll out on the tarmac before lining up behind AJ. Would there be a moment to even speak to him she wondered watching over her HUD to see the C27 come to a stop. It was only two hundred meters away, how long could she stall to let him and Kodiak run over to her. Bobbie began to sweat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:28:20 PM by Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield »

Offline Lt Trish Ramirez

• Private
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »

Well that was a little reassuring at least. Slightly. Trish was seconds behind AJ, her head looking around the airfield as she stepped in, excitement and anxiety both starting to build up in her. With her 'lid' on, she plugged herself in as quickly as she could do so with slightly shaking hands. Making herself familar with her rear position, she noticed she had fairly much the same as the front, with the added WSO controls and displays; noting mentally if for some reason AJ was unable to fly the Hornet, it would be her job to bring them home. "I did three months with the 122nd out of Louisiana as back seat driver, so I guess I should have you covered." A slight 'ugh!' came through her comset as she cinched up her harness as tightly as possible. "Ready to roll." She called it.

Offline Flight Lt Kim Paine

• Private
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »

Kim wrinkled her nose.  "Oh gross!  I do not want to know if my brother is a good kisser," she groaned, moving to follow Bobbie into the aircraft.  She grabbed her helmet and pulled it on, glancing over at Beckett's aircraft.  Would he make it in time?  She grinned when she saw the cockpit open as she strapped herself in.  "Think you can hold it together?" she teased her friend good naturedly.

Offline Flt Sgt Beckett Paine

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »

Beckett knew he was running out of time if he wanted to say hi before they had to take off again.  He glanced at Kodiak again before moving to help the dog out.  Once on the tarmac he motioned Kodiak to his side as he jogged across the tarmac, dodging other aircraft getting ready to take off.  He made it to Bobbie and Kim's only a bit winded.  Although he was feeling a bit foolish for chasing her.  What was his problem?  Kodiak barked, causing Beckett to jump a bit.  He silently groaned and waved a hand to get their attention.

Offline Troy

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
<RAAF Amberly>

This was certainly going to be an interesting time. Troy had been on a few exercises before, and each one came with its own set of challenges. With it being an exercise, there were a few pieces of gear not normally carried. However, he still carried his standard medical gear as well. There was always a chance that something would go wrong, requiring medical care.

Following the rest of the team, he looked at the row of helicopters.
"It's not the helicopters that matter, they're all the same. It's the pilots that make the difference. Hopefully they're not too much of a hotshot."

Offline Jack Pierce

• Private
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »
<RAAF Amberly>

"Carnage One-Two, copy." Jack replied. Once AJ and Robyn were moving, he followed up alongside Cate.

"Carnage One-Three, copy. Rolling now." AJ said, and began taxiing once everything was sorted with the tower. She lined up on the right side of the runway, waiting for Robyn.

Offline Lukas Schoenert

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
HMAS Canberra - Flight deck aft

All geared up, and their gear checks performed, Lukas followed the rest of his team towards the flight deck. For most of their time as a team, they had done nothing but train again over and over, practicing counter-piracy, their own boarding until it was almost perfect.

Heutz knew that more than anyone, having watched them grow into fully-fledged members of his team and under their current circumstances could not have come up with anything more than what tumbled out of his mouth as words of encouragement.

"Okay, wir alle wissen, was wir tun müssen - halten Sie Ausschau nach dem JSDF und schießen Sie gerade, Jungs." (Alright, we all know what we have to do - keep an eye out for the JSDF and shoot straight, boys.)

Bruecker and Auert exchanged glances, nodding their heads in agreement before turning to look at Lukas who replied in kind. "Jawohl."

They made it to the aft flight deck, checking their surroundings, running down through their courses of action should the OPFOR make it on board. Lukas could feel his heart increase in rhythm, his breathing becoming more noticeable before Heutz clamped down on his feelings.

Auert relayed into his radio that 'Bär Eins (Bear one)' was in position.
Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) -- Oberbootsmann
Facit Omnia Voluntas

Offline Flt Lt Robyn Hatfield

• Private
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »
<RAAF Amberly to Gladstone>>

Air to air refueling, just what the doctor ordered and at dusk as well. Robyn couldn't think of a more crueler fate for her the Chief's had planned for them as she knew from Cate's message the weather was going to be against them; she knew also she had sweaty hands from knowing Beckett was so close to her she could smell him. Then to make matters even worse, he appeared somewhere out of the blue standing with Kodiak on the edge of the field looking like a lost soul. His disappointed face said everything as her F18 rolled past him, at least he could see her face as she turned in his direction, giving him a warm smile. God how she wished she could say something to him, anything. The best she could manage was a wave of the hand, a hand that lingered in that position just a little longer than necessary. At least she knew in her heart that in a few hours, well at least six hours when they returned, he'd be waiting for her, even if it was after midnight. That made her feel much better. "Hold it together Kim? God yes now I can." Underneath her oxygen mask she was grinning like the proverbial Chesire.

In less than twenty seconds, her aircraft was lined up off to the side and slightly behind AJ's. Close enough for her to be seen.

Offline Lt Trish Ramirez

• Private
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »

Now came the exciting part for the Nugget, getting back into the air even if she wasn't in control. Just the very thrill of being up several thousand meters in a machine worth millions of dollars, with the knowledge in the back of your mind that that very war machine can influence peace somewhere on the planet; that was the very reason Trish did what she did and for no other reason. She still had her reservations about the deck landing, but as her old man would say 'take it as a new life's experience kid', which she she had every intention of doing, even if it meant throwing up at sometime. "AJ, Hatifield is in position." Trish only had to turn her head a few degrees to see the nose of the other F/A18 coming up alongside them.

Offline Sqdn Leader Catherine MacGregor

• Private
  • 'Anger Management-use a gun'
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 11:59:38 PM »

"Make sure you have that harness tight Rob, really tight." Cate pushed the throttle forward to just a little  above idle that started her own aircraft moving at a decent pace that would have her and Jack just less than one hundred feet, thirty meters from the tails of AJ and Robyn's birds. "Other than that Rob, what exactly did Warren say, I didn't quite hear him. You can tell me once we've settled into our flight pattern." Which was another way of saying you had better tell me or I will Gibbslap you.

"Keep it tight people, we have brass watching from the tower." She said over the closed coms, then to the tower Cate relayed. "Carnage deployed for flight, advise 'Caltex' ETA thirty eight minutes." Then back to AJ. "Take us out Major Peirce thank you." There were those rare times when Cate was surprisingly by the book. Very rare.